The problem is even if you've been forgiven, those mistakes still have consequences. Those mistakes are scary. My fear is that I will make the same big mistakes over and over again like I do with the little mistakes. Or that little mistakes will snowball into bigger ones.
This fear has haunted me for awhile. Pretty soon, I'm going to have to
make some big choices. Where to go to college, where to get a job, what
to major in. Lately, I've made mistakes in relationships. I haven't been
the friend, the teammate, the sister I could be. Just being honest.
I watched the movie Home today. One of the characters states that their society has a rule, nine big mistakes and you're out. When asked how many mistakes he'd made he replies,
"Sixty-two."
I am the girl with sixty-two mistakes.
Eight hours later I couldn't tell you the plot without forgetting half of it, but I remember the number sixty-two.
Sitting here, I got the urge to look up Psalm 62.
Psalm 62: 2
"He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved."
Psalm 62: 6
"He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved."
That's right Psalm 62: 6 and 2 (KJV) say nearly the same thing.
𝘏𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦.
That is a pretty big deal for me. I've been in competitive speech and debate for four years. I know what it means to defend something. I know the work, the passion, the conviction, the steadfastness of what it means to properly defend something. I'm not afraid to say the Lord knows how to speak directly to my heart.
Not that God defends my mistakes, of course.
I imagine myself on trial for all my mistakes. I can see the evidence against me rising. How could a just God defend someone so guilty? Someone has to pay the price for those mistakes.
And Someone already did.
And therefore he can stand in my defense. He is my lawyer, if you want to think of it that way. He calls me his child. Because of him, my verdict is "not guilty". I am free from those mistakes.
"He is my rock and my salvation."
For the first time, even though I've been a Christian since childhood, I've finally grasped how important that word 'salvation' is.
But the Lord also gives us this command, that we be the windows the Light shows through;
Isaiah 1:17 (NIV)
"Learn to do right; seek justice.
Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
plead the case of the widow.'
And today I realized, every moment I spend breathing and following that command, my mistakes amount to nothing compared to letting Him use me for the work of His Hands.
I watched the movie Home today. One of the characters states that their society has a rule, nine big mistakes and you're out. When asked how many mistakes he'd made he replies,
"Sixty-two."
I am the girl with sixty-two mistakes.
Eight hours later I couldn't tell you the plot without forgetting half of it, but I remember the number sixty-two.
Sitting here, I got the urge to look up Psalm 62.
Psalm 62: 2
"He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved."
Psalm 62: 6
"He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved."
That's right Psalm 62: 6 and 2 (KJV) say nearly the same thing.
𝘏𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦.
That is a pretty big deal for me. I've been in competitive speech and debate for four years. I know what it means to defend something. I know the work, the passion, the conviction, the steadfastness of what it means to properly defend something. I'm not afraid to say the Lord knows how to speak directly to my heart.
Not that God defends my mistakes, of course.
I imagine myself on trial for all my mistakes. I can see the evidence against me rising. How could a just God defend someone so guilty? Someone has to pay the price for those mistakes.
And Someone already did.
And therefore he can stand in my defense. He is my lawyer, if you want to think of it that way. He calls me his child. Because of him, my verdict is "not guilty". I am free from those mistakes.
"He is my rock and my salvation."
For the first time, even though I've been a Christian since childhood, I've finally grasped how important that word 'salvation' is.
But the Lord also gives us this command, that we be the windows the Light shows through;
Isaiah 1:17 (NIV)
"Learn to do right; seek justice.
Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
plead the case of the widow.'
And today I realized, every moment I spend breathing and following that command, my mistakes amount to nothing compared to letting Him use me for the work of His Hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment